Bengali Rasgulla Recipe: Bengali Rasgulla is a sweet dish from Eastern India that is particularly popular in West Bengal. It is made from chenna, which is made by curdling milk and then separating the curdled milk solids from the whey. The chenna is then kneaded into small balls and boiled in a sugar syrup until it becomes spongy and soft. The syrup is flavored with cardamom or rose water to add aroma and taste.
Table of Contents
Bengali Rasgulla Recipe
- 1 liter of cow’s milk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 cups of water
- A few strands of saffron (optional)
- 2-3 cardamom pods (optional)
- Boil the milk in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the lemon juice to curdle the milk. Stir gently and turn off the heat.
- Strain the curdled milk through a cheesecloth or muslin cloth to remove the whey. Rinse the curdled milk with cold water to remove any lemony taste.
- Squeeze out the excess water and hang the curdled milk for 30 minutes to an hour to remove any excess moisture.
- After the curdled milk has drained, knead it gently to form a smooth dough. Add the all-purpose flour and baking powder and knead again until it forms a soft and smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into small equal-sized balls, about the size of a marble.
- In a separate pan, add the sugar and water and bring it to a boil. Add the saffron strands and cardamom pods for flavor (optional).
- Once the sugar syrup comes to a boil, gently drop the dough balls into it. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes, turn off the heat and let the rasgullas cool in the sugar syrup.
- Once the rasgullas have cooled down, transfer them to a serving bowl along with the sugar syrup.
- Refrigerate the rasgullas for a few hours before serving. This will help them soak up the sugar syrup and become soft and spongy.
- Serve the rasgullas chilled, garnished with some chopped nuts, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Bengali Rasgulla!